Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Water Runs

When I got home from school yesterday, the house looked the same. It sat squatting in the semi-green grass. The front-door faced the corner woods. The house looked the same but it was gloriously different.

When I walked in, my first stop was the kitchen sink. I twisted the cold-water knob and just like that, water spluttered and then flowed from the faucet. Years ago after watching Water.org charity videos during Project for Awesome, I counted up the number of faucets in and around my house.

We have thirteen faucets. There is no walking, no hand pumping, no carrying, no lugging, no hooking bucket handles over the horns of oxen. Water runs--through the miracle of modern engineering-- into and out of our homes, schools, kitchens, baths, laundry rooms, garages--even onto some lawns. I am so thankful that I do not have to chase it.

 Many thanks to D & E Pump Contractors for fixing the pump in less than twenty-four hours.

9 comments:

  1. I am struck by the number of faucets you have....is 13 correct?! How lucky you got serviced so quickly. I love how you described your house as squatting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a relief it must've been to have your water back up and running within 24 hours! We don't realize how much we rely on running water until it stops flowing from the faucets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee Ann, I am so glad that your faucets are all running water like they should and you are a grateful consumer. When Superstorm Sandy hit Long Island, I was out of water, heat, and electricity for 14 days. It was quite an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! What a relief!! So glad you can hydrate again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad for you, too, Lee Ann, that you don't have to chase it. I grew up with a grandmother with only cold water in her house, lucky to have that, but also remember the time it took to heat water for a bath, for dishwashing, etc. As a teen, finally, there was hot water & a bathroom with a tub and more HOT water. We are fortunate indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ken had to fix the toilet (broken lever) before heading to Boise this week; I didn't panic, but I would have had I come home to no water. Glad your taps are working again. I had to count my faucets; I'd never considered how ubiquitous they are. If I count the laundry and the outside taps, there are 14. Who knew! We'll be doing some remodeling on the upstairs hall bath soon and will be adding another faucet w/ a trough sink. Seems excessive, but I know others must have many more faucets. I'm astounded by the abundance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your piece. I write a lot about water: it flows into our hands in this country. In my parents' country, little children carry buckets of water on their heads. Families rely on so little water to make it through the day. Parents and children wake up early to go collect water in buckets and gallons for the family. It is great that you are grateful for a resource we tend to take for granted. You write: "I am so thankful that I do not have to chase it." That is powerfully real and poetic statement. If you are interested, here is a link to a piece I wrote about water scarcity: www.tanbou.com/2010/summer/ReflectionsOnWaterNatashaLabaze.htm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Having water makes everything so much easier. I also liked how you described your house as 'squatty'.

    "The house looked the same but it was gloriously different" built suspense!

    Congratulations on the running water. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is the small things...taking a shower on demand..washing hands and flushing toilets that make all the differences...helps you become untapped...

    ReplyDelete