Saturday, February 21, 2015

Celebrate Art

I'm taking time to celebrate this week thanks, to Ruth Ayres.
Notice the good  and  celebrate it.  Join in, link up at Ruth Ayres Writes

“It's never too late, it's never too bad, and you are never too old or 
too sick to start from scratch once again.” – Bikram Choudhury

I saw this on a coffee shop bulletin board in New Smyrna Beach this week. It reminded me of having a growth mindset, of being open to beginnings, of starting, once again, along different avenues in my life (teaching, writing, art making) and to get going on my exercise plan. It feels good to move, to stretch, to lift weights--got back to the gym this week. 

The family gathered to celebrate my father's eightieth birthday. The quiet moments drawing, painting and talking, gathered around a long slab-top table in the hotel lobby, were the best moments this week. My brother lives far away in the snow-covered north, so any time we get together is cause for celebration.  



Even the kids got in on the drawing fun together. 

Art this week inspired me. There was an Art Fiesta at the beach and this week--lots of great glass, art and craftsmanship.



And my students shared their first altered book entries for an Art of Analysis project we've just begun. 


A lot to celebrate this week. 

7 comments:

  1. So happy you got to be with family. Happy Birthday to your dad! And the art, family, out in the world, & with your students. I've done altered books before, but this looks like you used just part of a book. Would love to see your assignment, or are you just talking them through it. Thanks, Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I think Dad had a good birthday. Such a treat the time together. I linked to the assignment title (above the blue face image)--it's difficult to see the link color--here's another one: http://ow.ly/JsHE0 That will take you to a draft of the assignment sheet. We've just begun and are trying two entries this quarter. I will write more about it during Slice of Life.

      Delete
  2. I've never done altered books, but these are intriguing. Would love to know more about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Altered books are fun to make--upcycle a library discard. On the project sheet, I have links to altered book videos: http://ow.ly/JsHE0 . I've made them for family mostly (collections of recipes or shared moments with photos). We are using them to practice analysis and learn about art movements.

      Delete
  3. Art in its many forms add sparks and color to life. Art is clearly part of your family culture. Happy Birthday to your Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee Ann, your post is full of inspired moments and bright visuals. Celebrating with family and students makes for a great week. What is an altered book and what is the process? Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete